[rescue] Anybody with Tru64/Alpha?

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Thu Mar 1 11:22:03 CST 2007

Hello,

anybody with a working alpha with Tru64 Unix?

I rescued a Siemens Alpha computer (OEM SMARTengine/Alpha 21264 with 500
MHz 21264 and 512M RAM) used as MRI imaging computer.

The previous rescuer has switched it to SRM from AlphaBIOS and that's
what I would like to use too. Unfortunately SRM hangs with E7 error code
before giving any control. E7 appears to be SCSI error and when I remove
the big strange combo card (SCSI + Ethernet + VGA), I get normal SRM on
serial console (and can read CDROM and floppy).

The combo card uses 21154 PCI bridge that is supported only for later
SRM versions. So I need to extract the flash image but this is only
distributed for Tru64 and OpenVMS, neither of which I have.

So would a kind soul extract the firmware image with mkbootfirm utility
that is provided along with the firmware? The files are at
http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/readmes/dmcc21264.html

TIA,

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)