[rescue] Best brains:  Dead keyboard ports on PC hardware

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Tue Jun 19 09:14:57 CDT 2007

At 09:02 AM 6/19/2007 , Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>What happens if you let windows boot and then plug in a USB keyboard and
>>mouse?
>
>When USB is "disabled" at the MB level, the OS won't se the USB hardware
>attached (the port is, uhm, "disabled").

Wait, are we talking about the USB controller being disabled completely, or
the BIOS not allowing a USB keyboard to emulate a legacy PS/2 keyboard?

FWIW, I've got one IDE channel disabled in BIOS so it won't fuss about a
SMART failure at boot, yet windows is more than happy to show me that
drive.  Not quite the same thing, I guess.

--
newell  N5TNL