[rescue] Floor loading... was Re: SGI ORIGIN 3800 SUPERCOMPUTER

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sat Jun 16 00:05:39 CDT 2007

On Jun 14, 2007, at 3:33 PM, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> Timothy Baldridge wrote:
>> "Well, if anyone is pining for big SGI iron, I may need to be shed
>> of my 16
>> proc Origin 2000 here in Minneapolis sooner rather than later."
>>
>> Oh, oh oh, Specs? I'd love to get my hands on this.....not that my
>> apartment would hold it...
>
> O2K's aren't *that* big.  I have two in one room.
>
> Peace...  Sridhar

On the other hand, though... I'm moving to an apartment soon that is
much smaller and is on the second floor... it has elevators, though.

The problem I am faced with, however, is my AS/400 and VAX 6000 are
both 700 lbs each.  The VAX does that in 30" square.  According to
standard floor loading for residential buildings, the area the VAX
takes up should have no more than 250 lbs. loaded on it.  If you use
the 1.4 x loading factor for 40 psf, you get up to 350 lbs.  I
calculated that I'd need some sheet of material 4.1 ft on a side to
slide under the thing to safely house it in the apartment.  Are there
such sheets commonly available for this kind of purpose or should I
use just 3/4" plywood?  Has anyone taken the batteries out of an AS/
400 and bypassed them?... that would take a lot of the weight out of
that thing... which is about 2 ft by 3.5 ft.

I've never had a place yet where I had to elevate those boxes.

Andrew