[rescue] SGI IRIS 1200 in Massachusetts for $100 (eBay)

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jul 31 22:48:43 CDT 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 9:55 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:

> This is really tempting. It's a three hour drive, and
> a lot of money, but I may just go for it. Being a *nix
> terminal, I assume that it groks the Xwindows protocol
> - so it should be able to communicate with other gear,
> correct? Something along the lines of older Suns or
> even a Linux box? My Octane maybe?

That terminal only does GL.  It doesn't do X.  I don't think they did
X until Irix 3 or 4, and this predates Irix.

If the seller has a still good software tape, or you can track one
down, I believe that GL was supplied as source code so that you could
make it work with more machines than just the VAX, so you might be
able to make it work with linux, if you custom write all your
applications that you want to use (or port them from the few open
source IrisGL programs out there).