[rescue] SGI IRIS 1200 in Massachusetts for $100 (eBay)

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue Jul 31 22:15:06 CDT 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 10:57 PM, der Mouse wrote:

>> It will probably work, however a machine of that vintage would be
>> based off of X11R4 or so, while your newer systems are based on
>> X11R6.  Anything that is too new will not display or give weirdness.
>
>> Specifically, I would expect weirdness with any other X Visual than
>> 8bit PseudoColor or 24bit TrueColor.
>
> If true, this indicates a busted client.  The R4 and R6 protocols are
> not that different.

It is true however.  Try running older versions of Netscape browser
on a 16bpp X server.  And there are *lots* of software vendors of
that vintage who shipped product in those days that had the same or
similar behavior.

Remember too that SPARC hardware was the big portion of the market,
and they only shipped 8bit and 24bit hardware.  So if it worked with
those 2 visuals, it would work with 75% of the market share they
cared about.

--Patrick