[rescue] SGI IRIS 1200 in Massachusetts for $100 (eBay)

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Tue Jul 31 21:11:08 CDT 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 6:55 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:

> This is really tempting. It's a three hour drive, and
> a lot of money, but I may just go for it. Being a *nix
> terminal, I assume that it groks the Xwindows protocol
> - so it should be able to communicate with other gear,
> correct? Something along the lines of older Suns or
> even a Linux box? My Octane maybe?

It does not grok Xwindows. It is possible it doesn't have an ethernet
interface, either, as it was optional. The host system was intended
to be a VAX, or, later, S/370. The user's manual (on my site)
contains some information on the communications interfaces.

I've been watching it since it was originally incorrectly listed as
being in CA, a couple weeks ago, and will be bidding on it later
tonight.

It will be fully restored, and properly documented.

ok
bear