[rescue] Big Iron available in/near Minneapolis

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Jul 27 22:07:06 CDT 2007

On Friday 27 July 2007 22:34, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> >> That's on my very short list of systems that I would drive nearly
> >> anywhere in the nation to "rescue".
> >
> > Why not just pick up a late-model S/390?
>
> Because I have neither three-phase power nor a commercial need for a
> mainframe.  Also, the MP3000 is a lot smaller.

You don't need 3phase power.  I've run a G3, G5, and MP/2003 on single
phase 240V.  The G3 is the only one I have actually run long enough so
far to measure the power on, and it drew about 7.5A of 240V when
running its (SE built-in) diagnostics.

I'm hoping to get back to the MP/2003 soon, it's the next project after
my roommate stops asking me to clean out the house..  I'd spend more
time on the G5 if I could find someone to send me the proper disks to
reinstall the SE to convert it from a CF to a normal PU.

Pat