[rescue] Bondi-ng

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Mon Jul 23 11:42:21 CDT 2007

> anyone know what the disk size limit is in these things?  are they
> lba48, or something even earlier?  looking to upgrade the 6G disk...

G3 iMacs support internal ATA drives up to 128GB.  (Starting with the 2002
model of the 'Quicksilver' tower G4, Apple started included LBA-48 aka
ATA-6 controllers for support of hard drives bigger than 128GB.)  You can
sort of get around this issue with third-party drivers such as this:

http://www.speedtools.com/ATA6.shtml

But that just seems overly complicated in my opinion.  Firewire, USB, and
any other storage type (SCSI, SATA) are only limited by whatever
controller/brige firmware combination you are using, i.e. it's not an
operating system limitation.  So it's easiest just to use a sub 128GB
internal drive if you're going to stick with the built-in ATA bus, and use
a bigger external drive (or internal SCSI/SATA drive off a card in the
case of tower G4s) in older Macs.

- Nate