[rescue] fastest Ultra 5 marketed by Sun?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 22 21:43:59 CDT 2007

>From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
>Date: 2007/07/22 Sun PM 03:55:38 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] fastest Ultra 5 marketed by Sun?

>On Sun, 22 Jul 2007, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>>> Cross-reference the 501 number on your U5's motherboard against the
>>> Sun System Handbook.  If you have the last revision, you'll probably
>>> be okay.
>>
>> I was not aware of that - if there is a difference in the hardware, is
>> it (crosses fingers) any faster?
>
>The IDE interface is still pretty slow, but the later-revision
>motherboards have slightly better onboard video.

Reminds me of the motto of the Non-sequiter club:

"We don't have a lot of meetings, but we do like pizza"

There are various "Series" of graphics, as noted on the system ID sticker on the side (the lack of the word "series" indicates Series 1 ;^), but if there is a difference in IDE hardware as well, that would be interesting...

Lionel