[rescue] fastest Ultra 5 marketed by Sun?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sun Jul 22 15:03:00 CDT 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 3:40 PM, Lord Doomicus wrote:

> When I got my Ultra5, U2's were still expensive.   I was upgrading
> from a Sparc 20.  So the U5 was a pretty good upgrade.

The actual problem with the U2 is memory bandwidth.  For interpreted
stuff like Perl/PHP/etc. memory bandwidth matters because the code
doesn't fit in L2 cache.

see:  http://www.hclinfosystems.com/pdf/sparc.pdf

There are applications that perform really well on a 500Mhz Netra X1
that don't perform well on a dual-CPU U2.

--Patrick