[rescue] fastest Ultra 5 marketed by Sun?

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Sun Jul 22 03:40:06 CDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 12:56:28AM -0700, James Hartley wrote:
> I thought I'd read somewhere that if no monitor or keyboard was
> attached, a U5 could be controlled through a serial connection.  I
> have a null modem cable attached to a laptop which is showing nothing.
>  Is there a jumper setting I'm missing?  Thanks.

Indeed, all Sun systems since the Sun 3 era at least will output to a
serial console if no keyboard is connected. Is your cable known good? What
port settings are you using? 9600 bps, no parity, 8 bit, 1 stop bit are the
defaults.

A useful starting point is http://www.sunhelp.org/unix-serial-port-resources/

-mj
--