[rescue] Bondi-ng

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Jul 22 02:03:13 CDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 01:10:40AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> We just acquired what, as best I can determine, is a Rev.A Bondi iMac,
> with the "maximum" supported 128MB RAM, with OSX 10.0 installed on it,
> to which we do not have the administrator password.  I understand a
> Rev.A will actually, unofficially, support up to 384MB of RAM, and will
> run up to OSX 10.3.9.  (I'm not 100% certain about the Rev.A part.)

It's hard to say. RAM is essential. If I remember correctly, it uses
PC100 SODIMM's. It also uses a 3.6 volt lithum battery, which by
now is no longer any good. If you are very careful about the polarity,
you can use a CR-2 3 volt lithum camera battery, which is relatively
cheap and easy to find.

Most PC-133 memory will work at the slower speed, but YMMV, I've had
revision B iMacs happily run with a 128m and 256m SODIMM but I
don't think I've ever actually seen a revision A model.

> Can anyone point us at 10.3.* media or ISOs, or have an old and no
> longer used set of 10.3.* (or for that matter, 10.2.*) media lying
> around spare?

If you can get it up to 256m or more, install XPostFacto and Tiger.
It will run better than 10.3 or 10.2.

> Also, can anyone recommend a quick intro-to-OS-X just to give us the
> basic skinny on where to find what and how to do common tasks that one
> would expect to do on a Unix-based OS, but which are, shall we say,
> non-trivial on OS X?  (For instance, I understand that on OS X, one
> cannot simply 'su -', because root doesn't exist as such.)

sudo works fine.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838