[rescue] fastest Ultra 5 marketed by Sun?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Jul 21 23:50:26 CDT 2007

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007, James Hartley wrote:

> Can someone comment on how size disk can the U5's IDE controller
> address?  I'm adding a 160GB disk & can't find through Google whether
> the controller can address more than 128GB.  After all, the U5 was
> released in the late '90's...

I think it depends on the motherboard revision.  I've had an Ultra 5
that could not see past 120GB and an Ultra 10 that had a 160GB disk in
it with no problems whatsoever (and the disk was near 100% full most of
the time).

Cross-reference the 501 number on your U5's motherboard against the Sun
System Handbook.  If you have the last revision, you'll probably be
okay.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "When they turn the pages of history, when these
Elgin, TX        (   days have passed long ago, will they read of us