[rescue] e4500 serial wiring

Ahmed Ewing aewing at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 16:15:01 CDT 2007

On 7/12/07, Robert Darlington <rdarlington at gmail.com> wrote:
> a "null terminal" cable has no provision for hardware handshaking.
> It's just ground, tx, and rx.  A real null adapter does quite a bit
> more.

That's accurate, as far as I know. And because Sun boxes expect
software flow control (XON/XOFF) by default, I don't believe there's
really any need for the additional hardware flow control lines (RTS,
CTS, etc.) to be present at all.

Provided you configure your terminal or emulator as such (9600 baud, 8
data bits, no parity bit, 1 stop bit, XON/XOFF), it *should* work with
either cable connection.

Hope that helps,

-A