[rescue] printing alternatives?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 11 06:40:43 CDT 2007

>From: Ronald Gilchrist <unixrescue at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/07/10 Tue PM 11:46:06 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] printing alternatives?

>James Hartley wrote:
>> I'm wrestling with making an old Cobalt Qube 2 into a print server (using
>> NetBSD...).  I'm looking into printing alternatives, such as lpr, CUPS,
>> lprNG, or Ghostscript.  Any & all comments as to configuration issues,
>which
>> may be better or more extensible, most actively maintained, etc. would be
>> greatly appreciated.
>
>NuOnce/Bluequartz seems to be combined with CentOS into commercial product:

NuOnce/Blue Quartz is a freely-available product, downloadable from the following address, and is fully usable (I've thrown it on older PIII/933 systems with 512 Meg RAM and it ran quite nicely):

http://www.nuonce.net/bq-cd.php

>http://www.osoffice.co.uk/strongbolt_server_appliances.html
>
>#35.00

This offering (strongbolt) seems to be geared towards installation on an original Sun/Cobalt server and to exploit it's unique hardware (LCD, buttons, etc.) and is a commercial product.

NuOnce apparently supports "replacement" hardware, like some small Tyan 1U server chassis that include their own LCD, buttons for installation/configuration like this Tyan chassis:

http://tyan.com/product_barebones_detail.aspx?pid=295

And offers commercial support and add-ons for their free software:

http://www.nuonce.net/catalog/1122824138.html

Lionel