[rescue] UNIX-like OS for a laptop

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 11:59:59 CDT 2007

Yeah, I've heard good things about OpenBSD. I wouldn't use it for a
desktop os, but for your uses it sounds perfect.

Timothy

On 7/9/07, Steve Sandau <ssandau at gwi.net> wrote:
> > I have an old laptop on which I'd like to install something in the UNIX
> > constellation.  Solaris, one of the BSDs, some Linux distro, I don't much
> > care.  That is, I don't much care as long as it supports the Cardbus network
> > cards I have: a D-Link DWL-G630 WiFi card and a D-Link DFE-690TXD Ethernet
> > card.
> >
> > Other potential issues ... it's a Taiwanese no-name laptop, P-III 600 or
> > something, and will only take 128 MB of RAM.
> >
> > I don't care about having a high-zoot GUI; command line is fine, though it
> > ought to have an X Windows client.
> >

> I have a couple of low-memory laptops that run OpenBSD nicely. In fact,
> wireless was easier to set up on OpenBSD than Linux, I thought. Granted,
> I am using a standard Cisco card.
>
> The hardware page ( http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html ) says that both of
> those network cards are supported, too.
>
> FWIW, I run OpenBSD 3.9 on a 500MHz Toshiba Portege with 128M of RAM,
> and it works fine with XFCE. I use it for email, browsing and lots of
> terminal sessions.
>
> Steve

"Believing in a DRM business model is like joining Star Fleet
security, putting on your red shirt, and volunteering to beam down to
the new unexplored plant with Kirk, Spock and McCoy." --   Jeremy
Allison