[rescue] Warning - WAS:Cobalt RaQ 4i operating system...

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list at oryx.cc
Sun Jul 8 23:25:32 CDT 2007

When I started at the company I am with now, I inherited several Cobalt
RaQ4i systems.  They were in service 2.5-3 years.  They were in a
hosting facility with temperature & humidity controls, conditioned
power/UPS's.

As I pulled them out of service and replaced them with
bigger/better/faster Sun equipment, I had planned to load them up with
Solaris x86 and re-deploy them as low end DNS servers or something
similar.  I didn't know any better at the time about their bios :)

Anyway, as I decommissioned these systems, I would open them up to give
them a cleaning with air and a brush to clean out any dirt or dust.

Each system had bulging/swollen capacitors on the mother board.  They
weren't leaking, but after my observations, I knew that I wouldn't be
re-deploying them in a production environment.

YMMV, but check out your RaQ 4i systems before re-deployment.

Jerry K