[rescue] UNIX-like OS for a laptop

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 23:09:07 CDT 2007

I just switched to FC6 after getting fed up with Ubuntu Feisty's
instability on my system (GF8 + DUAL screens = bad news). I'm happy
with it thus far. Otherwise, try debian. A stable install of debian
should support most of those ^^ devices and if nothing else debian is
known for being fast and stable.

Timothy

On 7/8/07, Sheldon T. Hall <shel at tandem.artell.net> wrote:
> Folks-
>
> I have an old laptop on which I'd like to install something in the UNIX
> constellation.  Solaris, one of the BSDs, some Linux distro, I don't much
> care.  That is, I don't much care as long as it supports the Cardbus network
> cards I have: a D-Link DWL-G630 WiFi card and a D-Link DFE-690TXD Ethernet
> card.
>
> Other potential issues ... it's a Taiwanese no-name laptop, P-III 600 or
> something, and will only take 128 MB of RAM.
>
> I don't care about having a high-zoot GUI; command line is fine, though it
> ought to have an X Windows client.
>
> Because I just happen to have the CDs lying around, I've tried FreeBSD 6.1,
> which won't boot all the way, and Ubuntu Workstation, which is glacially
> slow.  Ubuntu's installer hung on the first try, and crashed on the seconds
> try, so I never got far enough along to know if it would support the D-Link
> cards.
>
> Clues sought.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Shel

"Believing in a DRM business model is like joining Star Fleet
security, putting on your red shirt, and volunteering to beam down to
the new unexplored plant with Kirk, Spock and McCoy." --   Jeremy
Allison