[rescue] Looking for Shark Rack Kits for Sun Ultra 2

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Jul 5 17:03:10 CDT 2007

On Thursday 05 July 2007, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
> >    Sadly, new Sun servers like the T2000s won't go
> > into a Shark Rack:
> > the rack has pre-drilled holes for mounting screws,
> > while the new
> > servers want to fit through those square holes.
> > *sigh*
>
> Yeah, what is it about newer servers and proprietary
> racks? I got ahold of some Dell PIII servers, complete
> with rack kits that won't fit in any rack I own - they
> have these special spring clip things for square
> holes.
>
> The great thing about standards is that there are so
> many to pick from.

Every sane company has moved to using square hole racks.  Well, except
for IBM, of course.  I don't think IBM has changed the basic specs of
their racks (19" or 24", round hole, 28.75" between front and back
rails IIRC) in 30+ years (and maybe a lot more than that).

When you've got to rack 512 1U Dell boxes, you become very glad very
quickly to have square-hole racks, and "Rapid Rails".

I just wish that IBM could put its engineering expertise to some good
use and come up with the same thing for their pSeries gear.  Those are
about the most complex things I've seen in the past 5+ years to rack.
Screwless rails are a thing of beauty, and one of the few nice things
about Dell servers.

Pat