[rescue] Memory usage (was Re: Needed: Older laptops)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 5 12:54:41 CDT 2007

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2007/07/04 Wed PM 05:39:20 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Memory usage (was Re: Needed: Older laptops)

>John Floren wrote:
>> On 7/4/07, Steven M Jones <smj+rescue at crash.com> wrote:
>>> Utter trivia: This was the last place I saw engineers using a real line printer and printing out code listings on 14" wide greenbar on a regular basis.
>>>

>> I love greenbar paper. When I was a kid, my mom would print out
>> accounting data on wide greenbar paper. It was so cool; too bad it's
>> fallen out of use.
>
>I've been trying to find a program which would simulate this on a laser printer.
>
>If I ever get a place with more room, I'm going to have a nice wide-carriage
>printer, and boxes of greenbar... :)

I frequently think about having a "system log" printer next to my main server (a soon-to-be-placed-in-service E420r), but finding a suitable impact printer and low-cost ribbon source for said printer have held up those plans for awhile. I'd like to log all logins on actual paper (throwback to my mainframe operations days)...

A Decwriter II or III, ASR or KS would do nicely - anyone in the middle-atlantic region (VA/WV/PA/DE/NJ/NY/CT/MA) have one knocking about they'd let go???

Lionel