[rescue] Printers (was: Memory usage (was Re: Needed: Older laptops))

Mark Brown sunrescue at marknmel.com
Thu Jul 5 08:15:53 CDT 2007

Scott Quinn wrote:
> We had wide-carriage printers and green bar paper in the terminal lab
> when I started in college, in 1997.

Heh - wide carriage printers. Esp. daisy wheel.  They always make me
chuckle a bit. Circa 1994 I was given a surplus Canadian government
issue daisy wheel - IIRC it was a DEC Spinwriter.  Huge heavy thing.
At this time - I was on the outs with my folks, but my younger brother
still lived at home, and had been bitten by the computer bug.  I think
he was doing multinode BBS in Desqview, in 2 meg of RAM, from floppies
(poor high school student).
Knowing full well that he had lots of things to print, I manually
re-packed the ribbon cartridge (what a mess!), and left the printer with
him.  It sounded like a Gatling gun in my parents bungalow.  Heh!

/M