[rescue] Entertaining printers (was: Memory usage (was Re: Needed: Older laptops)

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Thu Jul 5 01:25:44 CDT 2007

> When I started college in '86, we were doing FORTRAN on a
> Prime running Primos.  Printing was done on a band printer,
> and if you've never experienced the sound of one breaking,
> you've missed something very scary and entertaining at the
> same time. :-)

Are you sure it was breaking? They didn't sound so great when they were
working properly ;-)

I consider electrostatic toner transfer/heat fusing technologies to be
vastly superior to designs that actually hit the paper with something.
Notice I didn't say "laser printer", as other technologies exist.

My other favorite that works well for large quantity reproduction is the
mechanized silk screen printer (risograph).

https://us.riso.com/portal/page?_pageid=777,1&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL