[rescue] Needed: Older laptops

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jul 4 10:51:37 CDT 2007

Doug McLaren wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 10:57:04AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> | > Even on my wife's 266 MHz laptop, XP and Firefox work just fine.  Just
> | > make sure you have at least 256 MB of RAM, and there's no problem.
> |
> | Firefox's normal load on my machine is well over 256MB.
>
> That is not normal.  Firefox is fine on this computer, and it's got
> 256 MB.

Um, where have you been?  FF is reported to use over 1 GB of memory on many systems.

FF and Thunderbird both leak like a Louisiana levee.

> | On that laptop, I'd be swapping constantly.
>
> Something is unusual.  Extensions?  Caching set way way high?

Extensions has nothing to do with it, and caching is turned completely off on
all of my browers.  I use a proxy and don't need local cache.

The worst of the memory leaks are in the base system.

> It works with a lot less by default.

I wish that were true.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto