[rescue] HPUX workstation vendor recommendations

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 30 23:35:29 CST 2007

>From: "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net>
>Date: 2007/01/30 Tue PM 10:19:22 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] HPUX workstation vendor recommendations

<snip>

>Well... you could simply buy aprox 10 used 'non DOAers' for the same
>price... and could
>self support the hardware with all the 'spares'.  Of course, this is
>dependent on having
>a person on staff who can troubleshoot and component swap hardware.

Reminds me of Dave McGuire's closet full of "T1 saturation devices" [0],
cheaper to swap than troubleshoot/repair.

Lionel
[0] At a prior job, Dave reported he kept a literal closet of SS/2 systems
bought for peanuts to replace SS/2s when they died "in the line of duty". He
was also famous for declaring "You could saturate a T1 connection with an SS/
2" (provided, IIRC, the contect was mainly static/images)...

Lionel