[rescue] HPUX workstation vendor recommendations

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Jan 30 22:19:22 CST 2007

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net>
>> Date: 2007/01/30 Tue PM 04:19:15 CST
>> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [rescue] HPUX workstation vendor recommendations

>>> http://www.eli.com/index.cfm?c=8&a=category
>>>
>>> Eli Heffron's in Cambridge Mass.
>>> Expensive, but (possible) worth it.
>>>

>> gadzooks... don't know about hp pricing... but
>>
>> http://www.eli.com/CBT-Q93640T19M-F.cfm?p=2239&a=product
>>
>> holy cow !
>>
>> I bought the Raq version of this box for $100.... over a year ago !
>>
>> -- Curt
>>

> Historically, they are about 2x market price, but as you have shown, there are some higher multiples...

indeed

> Don't forget, there is a difference between eBay'ing something for a few bucks and taking your chances, and buying a piece of equipment that *has to* work, and needs support if there is a problem (businesses typically want something better than "removed working, guaranteed no DOA")...

I understand that... I obtained mine through a reliable private sale....
not the same thing as
dealing with a vendor though.

Well... you could simply buy aprox 10 used 'non DOAers' for the same
price... and could
self support the hardware with all the 'spares'.  Of course, this is
dependent on having
a person on staff who can troubleshoot and component swap hardware.

-- Curt