[rescue] Sun announces DST patch availablity...

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 29 19:36:52 CST 2007

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 19:21:17 -0500, Skeezics Boondoggle <skeezics at q7.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>
>> > For Solaris 8, 9, and 10, there are patches available now, for solaris
>> > 2.5.1, 2.6, or 7, patches will be available for $400/server...
>> >
>> > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/techtips/solaris_dst_addendum.jsp
>>
>> I'm very tempted to roll my own patches for 2.5.1, 2.6, and 2.7 and
>> release them as freeware.  $400 per server is way past unreasonable.
>>

> Clearly that's Sun's subtle way of saying "Geez, upgrade already."

This is Microsoft's way of saying "Geez, upgrade already":
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/timezone/dst2007.mspx

"Windows 2000 has passed the end of Mainstream Support and will not be
receiving an update without Extended Hotfix Support.

"All versions of Windows can be manually updated using the tzedit.exe
utility or other techniques documented in Knowledge Base article 914387,
webcast 930688, and similar articles for other countries, which is the
preferred method of remediation for any product outside of Mainstream
Support. (The tzedit.exe tool allows you to create and edit time zone
entries for the Date/Time settings in the Control Panel, especially for
daylight-saving time)."

 From what I've heard, tzedit isn't too hard to use, and the worst part of
it is testing the apps to make sure they're ok with the change.  But
obviously, Microsoft would rather you just bite the bullet and upgrade to
Windows Server 2003 or XP (or better yet, Vista, *shudder*).