[rescue] Quadra 650 - Newb questions/parts seeking

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 16:58:19 CST 2007

On 1/25/07, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. <rescue at hawkmountain.net> wrote:
> Back in the Quadra 650 days, I do believe you needed an Apple branded drive.
> Although FWB made software drivers for non Apple branded drives.  I think
> you will need the Apple branded drive to boot.
>
> BTW, the Quadra 650 is all SCSI if you did not already know... so you'll
> want an Apple branded SCSI drive.  I also think for Quadra bezels, they
> might have only had caddy load drives/bezels... but I'm not 100% sure on
> that one.

Yeah, I've already opened it up and familiarized myself with the
insides a bit, so I quickly noticed it was all SCSI.

> if this system has been off for a long time, the PRAM battery is most likely
> dead (powered off Apples eat them for lunch... guess Apple never thought
> ppl might not want to power up their Mac for 6 mos, a year, etc).  Readily
> available on ebay (avoid Radio Shack... they carry them but want like $15
> for 1 battery).

IIRC it was powered on full time while the one salesman that
occasionally used it[0] was still employed here, but he's been gone
for over a year. It's pretty much been taking up space in his old cube
and then in our office since then.

> I'll look to see if I have a transciever or extra nubus card... but I
> don't think
> I have any extras left.

> I may have a caddy load 2X drive available.  You'll also need the drive
> 'sled'
> for mounting this internal (if you want it internal) and a bezel.  I'll
> look to see
> if I have any of those parts left.

> If you need 256K VRAM SIMMs... I think I have some.

Yep, that'd be them.

> That I don't think I have... non parity 72 pin FPM is what the Q650 uses.
> although you can probably use parity SIMMs if you find them and the Q650
> will probably just ignore the parity bit(s).

Well, I'm at 80MB now, so I don't think it'll be a big deal, but if I
can get the memory maxed I wouldn't mind doing so.

> I have plenty of 50 pin scsi 1G and 2G drives.  Might have a 4G too.
> I wouldn't want much at all for any of this stuff if I have it... I'll
> take a look around
> and get back to you off list.

Alright, LMK what you find, and thanks to you and everyone else for your help.