[rescue] Memory for a RS/6K 7044-170?

Andy Wallis rawallis at panix.com
Wed Jan 24 19:41:16 CST 2007

On Jan 24, 2007, at 8:15 PM, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 January 2007 19:34, Andy Wallis wrote:
>> chcons /dev/tty0 is your friend.
>> smitty makes good sysadms go bad. As an old technical lead told me,
>>   "SMIT rots your brains." Our drooling lab rats are proof of it.
>
> AIX Isn't uniX.  :)  Smitty can be your best friend (F6/ESC+6) to
> figure
> out how to accomplish tasks on AIX
I will give smit credit for letting you know what is under the
covers, but
I've met too many sysadms at work who don't want to know. SMIT can be
very nice as a simple system interface. My workplace has mocked it up so
that complicated functions are a series of custom menus in smit. A
normal user
has a little Exceed session to run smit on the server farm and have
it do their
canned task.

> especially when tasks can't be
> accomplished with vi (ie, modify/read the ODM).
That is when to whip out the following incantations:
ODMDIR=...
<Insert creating ODM stanzas here>. I use a lot of echos, seds, and
shell variables.
odmget -q"Weird funky regexp" table
odmadd -q"rinse" ottoman
odmchange -q"lather" recliner
odmdel -q"repeat" futon

I will agree that the ODM is deep voodoo and not well documented. I
think that
_SWVID_ is now etched in brain until death because I had to write up
a script
to correct the ODM on a bunch of AIX 5.3 boxes. I do wish IBM would
document the
ODM better as well as explicitly tell you which commands are
supported and which
are not.

> While I generally like AIX, I've noticed that AIX's 5.3 NFS server is
> annoyingly broken.

You're not the only one to see that. My coworkers have had to argue
with AIX development in India over the past two years about NFS
errors. My personal
favorite was the 5.3 client thinking that a 3.2.5 server had negative
gigabyte file sizes.

-Andy Wallis