[rescue] Memory for a RS/6K 7044-170?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 12:39:38 CST 2007

Bill Bradford wrote:
> I've got an IBM RS/6000 (7044-170, POWER3 400Mhz) system coming soon with
> 512M of RAM.  Anybody know how much RAM for these systems runs price-wise,
> and a decent place to get more?  I'd like to go to 1G in it if possible.

I see memory for these systems on Ebay often.  Adding an additional
512MB should be pretty cheap.  I just spent $300 to get 3GB to bring my
7044-270 (with the same kind of memory) to 4GB.

Focus Technology usually has pretty good deals.

I forget who it is, but there's also a company dumping POWER GXT6500P
graphics accelerators for only a couple hundred.  IBM is still selling
these for $2000+.

BTW, it's not a POWER3, it's a POWER3-II.  The processor is actually
quite different.

Peace...  Sridhar