[rescue] Bad Sectors

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Jan 19 20:29:32 CST 2007

Aaron Finley wrote:
> On 1/19/07, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>
>> Fri, 19 Jan 2007 @ 01:53 -0500, Aaron Finley said:
>>

>>> The rest have been 200s, and three have been bad sector free. I am
>>> using a disk inspection program that writes zeros to every single bit,
>>> and one drive had one bad sector. I am unsure, as per your advice,
>>> whether I should trash the drive for one bad sector. I will run
>>> seatools on that drive and see how it turns out.
>>>
>> A SMART utility should give you some information as well.
>>

> SMART is saying the drives are happy and passing their self-tests even
> when they have upwards of 300 bad sectors.

self tests are only a small part of smart... it sounds like your just
getting the
driver 'power on' self test report... since they spin up and can see the
media
they 'pass'.  You want to look at error count reports, and any 'event
log' type
data that might be in there.  Watch out for seek errors.... those spell
trouble...
(IMHO)

-- Curt