[rescue] 420R serial ports are different?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 19 10:25:36 CST 2007

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
>Date: 2007/01/18 Thu PM 09:30:05 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [rescue] 420R serial ports are different?

>looks like the 420R serial ports are different from many other Sun
>boxen.
>
>http://www.sunhelp.org/unix-serial-port-resources/serial-pinouts/
>#420r.link
>
>Does anyone know the proper incantation to get them working?  I have at
>my disposal an Ultra 5, and a PC with DB9 serial ports.  I also have a
>pile of different connectors; so far nothing seems to be working, on
>the PC at least (running Solaris 10 and just used to netboot the AX1105
>box, so I know that tip will work right if I can get it set properly).
>
>Like,
>
>do I need a null modem in the middle ?
>can I connect the DB25 on the 420R to the U5 DB25 (with/without null
>modem) and get a connection?
>
>or any other hints that can be provided.

Have you tried a 25 pin to 9 pin (or 25 pin to 25 pin) null modem cable to the Ultra 5? The only diff's I see are three pins on the 420R that are unused on the Ultra 5...

Aside from those three pins, all connections mirror the Ultra 5 port - I am curious what the three pins are for though...

Quote:
9      BUTTON_POR    To be determined
10     BUTTON_XIR_L  To be determined
11     +5Vdc         +5 VDC