[rescue] ZFS on V100

Patrick Giagnocavo xemacs5 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 11:04:58 CST 2007

On 1/16/07, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> Anyway, the performance of the mirrored pair is atrocious.  I haven't
> tried running bonnie++ or anything like that on it yet, but the simplest
> operations cause a noticable pause.  For instance, if I touch a new file
> in the mirrored pair, the prompt will be immediately returned, but then
> it won't respond to keystrokes for a second or so.  If I gzip -d a file,
> the prompt again is returned fairly promptly, but it takes more than a
> second for a keystroke to show up, then a few seconds for the next few
> key strokes to show up, etc.  While bzip2 -d'ing a large file, I was
> able to do stuff in the background, but every key stroke took several
> seconds to show up.  This problem effects both interactive usage on the
> serial console and interactive usage via ssh.

I have seen this exact same behavior on a ZFS setup I have, on the AX1105 board.

Here is more info (apparently the issue was discovered with NFS/ZFS
interaction):

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6421427

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.solaris/browse_thread/thread/1644cb98f3b7ba25/082aec3e832e0e34?lnk=st&q=sparc+solaris+netra+performance&rnum=16#082aec3e832e0e34

AND, a possible workaround (mirror using SVM, then ZFS on that to have
snapshots, etc.)

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.solaris/browse_thread/thread/bed12f2e5085e69b/bc5b8afba2b477d7?lnk=st&q=zfs+ide+performance&rnum=4#bc5b8afba2b477d7