[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Jan 10 09:58:52 CST 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 03:08:56PM -0000, Clemson, Chris wrote:

>> What specific controllers do you consider good?
>>
>> 3Ware is known to be solid and I can only agree.
>
> 3ware seem good and according to linuxy people have good linux support.
> Other than that I've no idea I'm afraid - I've never used any myself.

I had about 14T spinning across several 8 port 3ware cards using
180-200gig HDs a few gigs back. out of 14 or so cards, we had one that
was bad, the rest worked great.  They would occasionally kick out a good
disk and mark it as bad, but the proper sequence of remove drive from
array, pull drive from canister, re-insert, re-enable, would bring it
back online.  You could manage them all either over a web interface or a
CLI, they would send out mail for failures, etc.  I never did any real
performance testing on them, they were all just used for storing images
over NFS.  We were running Linux and using ext3 and xfs on RAID 5.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org