[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 9 21:52:30 CST 2007

>From: "Wesley W. Will" <wwill at siu.edu>
>Date: 2007/01/09 Tue PM 03:28:50 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

>I've been tagged by an online acquaintance for some help, for a library
>in the Minneapolis area.  They are in need of about a 2TB storage and
>retrieval setup for e-books and scanned documents, whatever reason, I
>don't get into why.  Cheap is good.  Cheaper is better.  Money will be
>spent as and when needed, but the less spent the better.

Whee! If they really need 2 TB, I'd suggest 4x 750 GB SATA drives in a RAID5 array on a reasonable MB/CPU combo with decent built-in HW SATA RAID (Like the Supermicro PDSGE with a 775 pin CPU of some kind)... Personally, I'd even go so far as to use a Supermicro case with 4x hot-swap trays (but no redundant PS) like the 773T-450 (from memory). I have a similar setup (but with 4x 320 GB SATA drives) and it works quite well. My system has an MS OS installed, but I suspect Solaris 10 x86 would work as well.

>I suggested something surplus and longevious, maybe non-Wintel, Sun in
>particular.  Anybody with hardware to donate in that area, let me know.

2TB on a surplus Sun box will be expensive, as you will most likely have to go with either FC-AL or SCSI drives (SATA/IDE aren't really an option with older Sun hardware)...

>(Being a Freemason wouldn't be a hindrance, btw, it's apparently the
>Masonic library needing the help.)  (No, I'm not a Mason.)

Lionel