[rescue] some stuff I'm trying to find

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jan 8 10:19:00 CST 2007

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 08:22:56AM -0800, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> That'd be a Phobos G160 card.  It goes on the GIO64 bus, and is reputed to
> be quite fast.  They seem to be relatively rare, and somewhat expensive.
> I've never actually seen one.
>
> The Phobos E100 card is a version of the 3com 3c597, and fits on the EISA
> bus.  You can hack the Phobos driver to work wih a normal 3c597.  It's
> noticeable faster than the built-in 10baseT interface, but not a full
> 100Mbps.  More like 50, I think.
>
> > There are ways to get faster networking and disks into the I2.  For
> > instance, there are UW SCSI cards, FC-AL cards, FDDI cards, and HiPPi
> > cards.  All but the FDDI cards tend to be hard to find though.
>
> If you have Max Impact graphics, however, you only have one open slot for
> any sort of add-in.
>
> Of course, if you mentioned this problem to your SGI rep, he'd tell you he
> had a fix.  He'd offer to trade you up to an ONYX.

That's why my dream I2 would have a 4meg High Impact card instead of Max
Impact.

An Onyx would also be nice.  I don't have a place to run one currently,
and I'm starting to think that the first house I buy might not be as big
machine friendly as I'd like.  Although, I'd still be willing to take a
shot at setting up an Onyx in a basement with a console extender running
to an office.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net