[rescue] some stuff I'm trying to find

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Mon Jan 8 10:32:30 CST 2007

Quoth Larry Snyder ...
> "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at tandem.artell.net> wrote:
[abut IRIX]
> > Interesting graphics abilities, 90% GUI admin, neat
> > single-command method of
> > turning various features on and off (though, cusiously, no
> > GUI for this),
> > nice-looking desktop, enviable audio capabilities (including file
> > conversions, audio editing, and a 4-channel mixer on the
> > workstations), etc.
>
> Shel, you left out one of the best parts:  Give it lots of
> ram, because
> it *won't swap until it absolutely has to*.

I guess I hadn't really noticed that, since all my SGIs have quite a bit of
RAM.  My Indigo2 has 768MB, the Octane has a gig, the Challenge has 3 gigs.
I have an Indy with only 32MB; while I'm not using it at the moment, I don't
remember it being particularly slow.

But, yeah, given the modest CPU speeds, the I^2 is pretty quick.

-Shel

PS:  Before anyone mentions it, I know "200MHz" means something different on
different processor types, so a 200MHz R10K MIPS isn't comparable to a
200MHz Pentium.  Still, the CPU in even a top-drawer Indigo2 is a modest
processor by today's standards.