[rescue] AX1105 (Netra X1-alike) booting from cdrom problems...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 8 08:49:42 CST 2007

>From: Magnus <magnus at yonderway.com>
>Date: 2007/01/07 Sun AM 08:26:04 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] AX1105 (Netra X1-alike) booting from cdrom problems...

>Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>> The problem I have is that I am not able to get known-good CDROMs or
>> DVDROM drives to be seen by the on-board IDE controller.
>
>I doubt this is your problem but I'll throw it out there.
>
>On my X1 I had a CDROM plugged in, it was recognized, but booting off of
>it would not work right.  The IDE controller for whatever reason only
>sort-of worked if the drive was jumpered for "Cable Select" and had to
>be explicitly set as Master or Slave.

Remember, Cable Select requires an appropriate cable, typically an 80 conductor cable - if you have the drve jumpered for Cable Select, and use a non-Cable Select cable, your results will be as the original poster described, now that I think about it.

I installed Win2K recently on a small desktop, and used a Cable Select cable and jumpered the drive as slave (actually, I had no jumpers, and that is what no jumpers meant). Anyway, the BIOS said no HD was on the bus, Win2K installed fine, but wouldn't boot :^(

When I actually jumpered the drive to Master and re-installed Win2K it installed fine.

If you want to make sure the drive/controller/etc are all functioning fine, I'd suggest getting a 40 pin IDE cable, jumpering the drive to Master and re-attempt the boot.

I also wonder if the OpenBot PROM settings were altered - have you reset them to defaults? (I'm not sure about decoding IDE dev paths)...

Lionel