[rescue] some stuff I'm trying to find

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Jan 8 06:59:10 CST 2007

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 09:45:21AM +0200, Michael-John Turner wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 11:48:13PM -0500, John Floren wrote:
>> Second, I'm looking for a SCSI drive to go in a DEC Multia. It sounds
>> like a 50-pin drive should do it; if anybody in the area has a few to
>> part with, please contact me.
>
> If you want an internal drive, it'll have to be 2.5" SCSI. Alternatively,
> you should be able to hookup any drive in an external case that you can
> connect with a narrow SCSI connector.

Internally you can go with 2.5" SCSI or IDE.  I would highly recommend
staying away from IDE on these guys, it's not any over the newer ATA
chipsets, so any dand all disk access hits the CPU heavily.

For external SCSI, anything you can hook up to a narrow SCSI (which is
just about anything but HVD) works fine.  Someone else offered up a
Quantum Fireball, those work fine, as along as they are the one and only
thing on the bus.  Fireballs don't support reselection and will cause
problems if/when you hook up a second device.

I ran bl.org on a 166 MHz Alpha based Multia for about 2 years, back
when RedHat 4.2 was current.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org