[rescue] some stuff I'm trying to find

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Sun Jan 7 23:35:04 CST 2007

Saith Phil Stracchino ...

> I keep being tempted by the idea of picking up an SGI box sometime.

You should.  They are fun.  The Indigo2 R10K is a very decent machine, even
by modern standards.  Yeah, the SCSI stuff is all 50-pin and a little slow,
and the networking speed (even with the 3com 100base card) isn't going to
melt your Cat5, but it's not too bad at all.

> Realistically, I don't know how much motivation I have to
> learn IRIX though.

Interesting graphics abilities, 90% GUI admin, neat single-command method of
turning various features on and off (though, cusiously, no GUI for this),
nice-looking desktop, enviable audio capabilities (including file
conversions, audio editing, and a 4-channel mixer on the workstations), etc.

I rather like IRIX.

-Shel