[rescue] Ultra 1 newbie q'ns

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Jan 2 19:02:25 CST 2007

On Jan 2, 2007, at 3:53 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Yeah, on top of that wonderful cooperative tasking glob that sits
> on top
> of NT.
>
> I can't believe that in 2007, Microsoft is releasing an OS that is
> still
> basically a cooperative tasker on top.

NT was never a cooperative tasker.  Not a bit.  Even NT 3.x.  This
doesn't mean that very poorly written drivers and low level code will
not create the illusion that it is such.  Only the DOS based versions
of Windows had cooperative multi-tasking.  Starting with 95 you even
had a mix of both preemptive and co-op.  On the Mac side, Classic
MacOS was still co-op until its demise.

The only thing cooperative on NT based OSes is WOW.

Andrew