[rescue] Converting Ultra 10 from IDE to SCSI HD

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 22 13:34:42 CST 2007

>From: Mike Hebel <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com>
>Date: 2007/02/22 Thu PM 01:12:03 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Converting Ultra 10 from IDE to SCSI HD

<snip>

>I'm just curious - is there an IDE card that works well in the U10s?
>
>Or would it be better to go SCSI and use something like the ACARD adapters
>if you want 250G+ drives?

Interesting thread I just bumped into on this very topic:

http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=20121

Talking about Solaris on an Ultra 10, and working around the craptacular IDE controller with something less pathetic...

BTW, in my earlier post, I completely left out USB and Firewire options (with a suitable card, Solaris OS can work with it, and while you can't boot, you can access larger HDs - reading the OpenSOlaris thread linked to above reminded me of that)...

Lionel