[rescue] 480Mhz Cpu's in an Ultra 2 Chasis? Can it be done?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Feb 16 08:32:06 CST 2007

" From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
"
" On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 19:57, Mark Brown wrote:
" >
" > Strange question, that I don't have the answer to - hopefully someone
" > here may.
" >
" > On my Ultra-2 (Dual 300's) - can I replace these with 480mhz cpu's from
" > an E450?
" >
" > I realize this is an "unsupported" config, but is there a reason (heat,
" > connection, physical, bus) that this won't work?
"
" The 480 MHz CPUs would require a 120 MHz "clock speed", the Ultra 2
" system board doesn't support that speed - the CPU may run at 400 MHz or
" not at all,

aren't all usII modules supposed to support x5 operation?  not that i
know of any system that runs that way...  you'd have to find out how
it's triggered, then set something in nvram.  this is after getting
the system to even recognize the 480; while 400s are physically
supported you need a late obp to run them.

the pg on getting faster modules to work on a u30 is
http://www.sunshack.org/data/ultra30_cpu.html
i assume the method, if not the numbers, would work on any system.