[rescue] Sun Update Manager question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 15 07:36:16 CST 2007

Hello all,

My Ultra 20 (and a few other systems) are running Sun Update Manager to
keep their patches up-to-date, but I've found something annoying - it
doesn't seem to have a proper idea what the underlying machine/software
is, and repeatedly tries to install the same patches over and over
again.

Just this morning I wa presented a list of 8 patches, NONE of which were
able to be installed - some I've seen more than once, and they failed
then as well. Why doesn't this tool better manage the patches it tries
to install?

Any ideas?

The patches have to do with the Sun Studio 11_x86 compiler suite and,
oddly, "Common Fiber Channel..." (patch 120347-06). I've installed the
compiler suite, but not any fiber channel hardware...

Thanks,

Lionel