[rescue] Programming the PDP-11, videos on youtube

Luke Goembel idylukewild at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 5 21:07:22 CST 2007

Cool! Brought back memories of driving to U. of Md. in
the wee hours of the morning so I wouldn't have to
wait in line for a card punch machine. I got real good
at stepping through the complete program by pencil
before punching the cards and submitting them for
batch processing (which could take hours before I saw
the, sometimes heartbreaking, output). The PDP 11
setup shown in the video looks positively dreamy
compared to what I had to work with for my Fortran
class in 1979 (it was some kind of Univac mainframe,
undergrads like me had to do everything by batch by
punch card - wait in line to use a punchcard machine,
wait in line to submit for processing, wait around
forever to pick up the output)! I wonder what happened
to all those guys who ran around the mainframe and
peripherals throwing switches and vacuuming out the
guts all the time?

--- Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>