[rescue] Anybody have a DDS-4 drive I can borrow?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Apr 30 18:12:55 CDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 05:59:55PM -0400, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>     That's easy.  What gets weird is when you've got proprietary
> installers that read the raw device directly and your endianness
> is wrong.  That's why I like keeping intact reference systems
> around.

Now I just get to fight with Solaris 10 not liking a st.conf entry [0]
from the installation manual for the tape drive [1].  Otherwise,
everything's groovy!

BIll

[0] From the manual, with the vendor string modified appropriately as
    this is a "Manfuactured by Seagate for IBM" drive:

tape-config-list= \
"ARCHIVE IBM-STD224000N!","Seagate DAT Drive","SEAGATE_DAT";
SEAGATE_DAT = 1,0x2c,0,0xd639,4,0x00,0x8C,0x8C,0x8C,3;

Solaris 10 then bitches about the number of parameters in the SEAGATE_DAT
definition line.  I've looked in a ships-from-the-factory st.conf from Solaris circa '00, and it has the *exact same entries* as above.

[1] Archive^HSeagate STD224000N, aka "Python 24" or "Scorpion 24" 12/24G
    DDS3 drive with IBM firmware.  Seagate won't even admit to ever having
    made or owning a company that made tape drives.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas