[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sun Apr 29 12:06:26 CDT 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Sun, 29 Apr 2007 @ 13:34 +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:
>> But if you understood the U.S. in the 1950's and 1960's you could see
>> the world view it portrayed. Military service in exchange for citizenship,
>> public excutions (murder in the move, rape and murder in the book),
>> and propaganda films on TV and in the movies, and so on.
>
> I understand the world view in the book. The movie got a lot of the
> visuals right, and I thought that was good.

I thought the movie got rather few of the visuals they had a choice
about right.  They replaced the powered armor with a bunch of stupid
"super-helmets" because we wouldn't have been able to see the actor's
faces in the armor (more likely, they didn't want to spend the money to
develop the prop armor), the combat tactics used were just STUPID as was
the complete lack of any kind of heavy-weapons support ....

> But the story was butchered, with huge chunks just left out with no
> explanation.

Half the problem with the story is that Paul Verhoeven (1) thought that
Heinlein was a fascist, (2) thought Starship Troopers was a
glorification of war, and (3) thought he was "cleverly" making it into
an anti-war movie.

> I mean, I can't believe they left out back story to show the over
> dramatic scene where the brain bug makes his B-movie kills. That wasn't
> even remotely important, so make it take 5 seconds and be done with it.

Simple explanation in five words:  "Director utterly clueless about story."

--
 It's not the years, it's the mileage.
 Phil Stracchino              phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220                Mobile: 603-320-5438