[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Fri Apr 27 15:30:20 CDT 2007

    On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Bill Bradford wrote:

> You've never seen "Blade Runner"?

    "Blade Runner" is, in my opinion, quite possibly the best piece
of cinematography from the late 20th Century ("Metropolis" gets it
for early 20th Century).  The exteriors are simply *stunning*, and
the interiors are no slouch, either.  The script is genius, the
score is no slouch, and the acting is good too.  'Tis a pity that
the only copy I have is on Laserdisc, and my Laserdisc player just
recently gave up the ghost (I suspect a power-supply issue -- does
anybody here know what voltages a Pioneer CLD-3090 uses internally?).

    As far as "Tron" goes, yes, most of the animated sequences were
done by hand, and I believe that *all* of the "enhanced" scenes with
human actors in them were hand done -- quite the tour de force.  It's
such a pity that the Disney folks don't do good/interesting stuff more
often.