[rescue] More Sys Admin (and other) Openings

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 14:34:14 CDT 2007

On 4/27/07, der Mouse <mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca> wrote:
> > Yeah. I love what he did to his pepper grinder and my jaw dropped
> > when I saw the cake episode.  I never would have thought of doing
> > that to frost a cake.
>
> Now you've got me curious.  Are these things which can reasonably be
> described in text?  I'd be interested, if so.

The pepper grinder is pretty simple.  He attached it to a cordless
drill.  Hold the grinder in one hand and the drill in the other,
squeeze the trigger and you've got all the freshly ground black pepper
you could ever want in no time flat.

There's a couple things that come to mind about the cake, assuming
Steve was referring to the icing episode.  First, to split the cake in
layers, he used a couple of 1in x 2in square yard pickets and a spare
(and clean, obviously) blade for his bow saw.  Lay the pickets down so
the 1in sides are parallel with your work space.  Arrange them in a V
shape with the cake in the middle.  Run the saw blade through the cake
along the top of the pickets.  Then lay the pickets down so the 2in
sides are parallel with the work space and run the saw blade through
again to get three even layers.  The other thing is a lazy susan on
top of a round cake pan in place of the cake decorating turntables the
pros use.