[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 20:05:42 CDT 2007

On 4/26/07, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> William Gibson explored this a lot in the Necromancer series.

I think Tad William's 4-book series, Otherworld, has a very
interesting (and more developed, imo) take on this, as well as an
interestingly distopic view of the near future.

Those of you that like Gibson and others would appreciate these books,
I think.  The SO did not like the slow ramp up in the introductory
book (some of the different characters' perspectives are obscured),
and while it's a hurdle, I think getting over it is worth it.  It goes
well beyond the treatments of immersion inside the "'net" that I've
seen in stuff like Snowcrash, Neuromancer, or Synners.  I've long been
a fan of cyberpunk, and while Otherland lacks some of the "punk"
asthetic, these books have a lot of other qualities to recommend them.

=Nadine=