[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Apr 24 14:34:56 CDT 2007

On 24 Apr 2007, at 18:34, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
[...]
> The problem you describe above is because you picked the wrong case.
> Because ATX doesn't design the "interface" between drive bays and
> motherboard, you have to pick a case which doesn't have overlap, and a
> motherboard whose layout matches your usage.

Well, mooli.org.uk is in a rather deep rackmount ATX case of 1999
vintage. There is a lot of wasted space in there. The main problem is
that the hotswap disk carriers that occupy the front 5.25" bays is
very deep and foul the relatively ancient 2001-vintage ATX
motherboard in there.

The "fileserver" is the cheapest new PC I could find in London. It
was a German machine based on a micro-ATX board and case. It came
with a 40GB PATA drive and I attached a couple of external USB drives
to it. Since the 40GB drive was a SPOF, I eventually cracked it open
and shoved in a pair of "spare" 160GB SATA disks which is about

In both cases, I didn't actually *choose* the case, merely ended up
with whatever it came with. My real computers were specced entirely
by myself and seem to pretty much all fit. The PCs are generally of
fairly shoddy build even so, whereas the Mac and Sun kit is nice and
solid.